Quick and easy is a MUST these days in the Smith household. Between working from home all day, changing what seems like a hundred diapers, breastfeeding every couple of hours, and cleaning the house……cooking dinner is often one of the last things on my mind until it gets to be well…dinnertime!
We all know that crock pot meals are quick, but sometimes I just hate the hassle of cleaning the pot after….I know, I know…call me lazy, but hey, I’m a new mom…that’s my excuse. 😉
So….what’s my solution to needing something quick on a fall evening? SOUP! If you know me, you know that I LOVE a good stew or soup! Pour all the ingredients in and BAM — you. are. done.
This recipe for my Spinach, Bean, and Turkey Soup is one of my new favorite concoctions. My kitchen is always stocked with cans of beans, diced tomatoes, low sodium chicken broth, spinach, ground turkey and other frozen meats. You can ALWAYS find something to make with those staples!
Tonight I wanted to use the last of my spinach and ground turkey that will go bad in a few days, so what better than a big pot of soup to end this rainy day off with?
Check out this protein-packed, healthy, and flavorful soup and let me know what you think!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
You can have this soup on the table for your family in 20 minutes flat! How’s that for a quick & healthy meal you can guarantee everyone will love?!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cloves of fresh garlic
- a dash of red pepper (add more depending upon how much spice you want)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can diced tomatoes (Hunt’s or Rotel)
- 1 can great northern beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 2 bags baby spinach (this is about 9 ounces or so)
- 1 carton of low-sodium chicken broth
- fresh grated parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Brown the ground turkey with the garlic, black pepper, red pepper, onions, celery, and bell peppers. Cook through until the onions are translucent and celery and peppers are softened.
- Add in the rest of your seasonings (oregano and basil), as well as the diced tomatoes (pour the liquid in as well), and both cans of beans. Stir to combine.
- Lower your heat and add in the spinach (you can also use kale if you prefer). This will look like a lot, but put the top on and let it sit for 2 minutes. Take top off and stir a little to help the spinach continue to wilt. Keep stirring until all spinach is wilted and combined.
- Add your chicken broth, stir in, and raise your heat to medium again. Continue to cook soup until heated all the way through to a boil. This should be about 5 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat, scoop out about 2 cups per serving and top with a pinch of fresh parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy and share!